Home Biography Map PackList Pictures

Monday, May 3, 2010

Hot Springs

In the library in Hot Springs, NC. I got hit with a rainstorm three miles out of Gatlinburg. Over the next four days the rain turned to sleet then snow then all three at once. All the shelters were full of soaking wet people trying stay warm around a tiny fire. I was only moving five to seven miles a day to stay out of the bad weather for the most part. After thirty miles I walked out of the mountains, moving from 6000 feet elevation to 2000. The skies cleared up and life was good again.

After the Smokies I stopped in at the Standing Bear Farm Hostel for a day. This is a pretty rustic looking place, but extremely comfortable. The owner, Curtis, runs a store full of hiker supplies and food on site. Whenever you take something from the store you just write it down on a piece of paper and pay for everything at the end of your stay. It was convenient. Also, there are beer runs into town at 4:30 every day! After I left Standing Bear it was medium sized mountains and rolling hills all the way to Hot Springs. This town is only a block long. It was made famous hundreds of years ago by the nearby mineral springs that are said to "bring vigor to a wasted frame." I paid twelve bucks to spend an hour soaking in the springs and I feel pretty invigorated, but I think the chocolate covered coffee beans I got in the mail helped. Thanks Mom, David, and Tania!

My chores in town seemed to take longer than usual here. Every time I stop I have to do laudry, find a good shower, resupply on food, clean out and reorganize my pack, try to find internet and a new book. It barely leaves any time to get drunk. I had to do a big resupply here since I'll be walking seventy miles before I hit the next town. I am getting faster, though. Before Hot Springs I did two thirteen mile days in a row.

Trail Days, the annual hiker party in Damascus, starts in ten days. Damascus is 190 miles away. I'm not going to make it on foot, so I'll have to take a break and hitchike up there sometime.

I saw another snake. This one tried to bite me. I also met a guy who got bit by a timber rattlesnake in Franklin. I don't like snakes anymore.

Alright, gotta cut this short, library is closing. Summer is nearly here. Huzzah!

4 comments:

  1. what kind of snake tried to bite you? Or were you to busy avoiding its fangs to see?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nick, I think I have missed 2 of your calls now, try again! I don't like snakes either, did your gaiters save you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn I forgot Trail Daze was just around the corner. I'm going to head to Scranton for Mother's Day/Canoe-a-thon this weekend, but I'll try to make the trek out to Damascus next weekend if you'll be there. Tho, it's 295 miles away from Richmond. In a Taurus with little to no brakes. so. You think YOU have it rough. We'll have to make sure to catch the "Free medical screenings & first aid in the First Baptist Church parking lot. Porta-potty in the alley behind the church" on Saturday from 9 - 5. I feel like my concept of sanitation is sure to be challenged. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, so I'm not even sure if you read these comments because you never respond, but on the off chance that you do, I have a request from you, if you're willing to oblige. Being that I am probably never going to hike the appalachian and despite the fact that I'm not very nature friendly to begin with, I'd still like to leave my mark. If you come across a particularly sweet looking tree or rock or panther, could you carve my name into it, and take a picture of it? It can be my souvenir. Thanks.

    Also, if one were to send you mail, where would he address it to?

    ReplyDelete